On April 23, 2021, Standartinform took part in an online conference on the implementation of the ISO Regional Engagement Policy. Standartinform was represented by Yu. Tufanova and A. Deryabina
This Policy, approved by the Council of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), applies to all its members. According to its structure, the Policy is divided into two main directions - «pillars».
The purpose of the first pillar is the interaction of the ISO Central Secretariat (ISO/CS) with ISO members. The main objectives of the pillar are to help implement ISO's strategy, support capacity building for all members, strengthen promotion, and foster communication, collaboration and partnerships.
The first pillar is based on the following principles:
- integrating the ISO Regional Engagement Policy into the overall structure of the organization;
- support for ISO members in the regions;
- consistency, communication and coordination between all specialists at the regional level;
- a sustainable and equitable level of support for all ISO members.
The purpose of the second pillar is the interaction of ISO/CS with regional and sub-regional standards organizations.
The main objectives of the second pillar are mutual exchange and joint contribution to the implementation of the ISO Strategy, the ISO Policy for Regional Engagement and the ISO Action Plan for Developing Countries; improving the exchange of information and seeking support at the level of regional standards organizations; and promoting the adoption of international standards at the regional level in accordance with ISO/IEC Guide 21.
The principles on which the second pillar is based:
- relations with sub-regional standards organizations should be agreed and approved by the ISO Council;
- engaging with regional standards organizations as strategic partners and expanding this engagement in the future.
“The essence of the ISO Regional Engagement Policy is for more and more organizations to become active participants in international standardization. “Standartinform” as a national institute for standardization and a member of ISO contributes to this process”, - noted the Director of the Department of International Development of "Standartinform" Yu. Tufanova.